- 3 tablespoons (45mL) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons (10mL) ground coriander seed
- 2 teaspoons (10mL) ground cumin
- 8 medium beets, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 cups (1L) chicken or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup (75g) crumbled feta
In a medium-sized pot, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent and soft. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, then add coriander and cumin.
Stir until the spices are toasted and aromatic, but not smoking at all. Add the beets and the stock. Season amply with salt and pepper and let simmer for about 45 minutes, or until the beets have softened.
Cool and purée in batches in a blender, until smooth. Pour the soup back into the pot and bring to a simmer. Add more stock or water if necessary. Once the consistency is correct, turn off the heat, add the lemon juice, and taste, adding more salt if needed. Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with the feta.